Wednesday, May 20, 2015

The Opening Hand

Hi hi, let's get the boring stuff out of the way ASAP.

I'm Elliot Gaylord, known across the interwebs as Elliot Gale (eGale for short; Wiselugia in ages past), and let me tell you, I don't know the meaning of the phrase "everything in moderation". I've always gone full bore when it comes to my hobbies. These have included all sorts of games - Go, various TCGs, Smash Bros, Mega Man, Fire Emblem, and of course the one I grew up on: Pokémon.

It stands to reason, then, that I've gathered my fair share of experiences regarding the Pokémon franchise. I've played and replayed every main installment, several spinoffs, and more fan games and ROM hacks than anyone probably should. But why? The easiest answer is that I'm always looking for something new. A break in monotony. A difference in perspective. And I pretty much always get that, even from Game Freak themselves. However... I always find myself wanting more. I want to be challenged. I want to be driven. I want the ends to justify the means. I simply must know what it takes to achieve this, or if it's just a pipe dream.

SO, for better or worse, I've resolved to create a (free, non-profit) Pokémon game of my own. It'll be built in RPG Maker XP (RMXP) to allow for freedom and use of the best available tools (Pokémon Essentials, etc.). It'll feature a new story, a new region, new characters, new Pokémon and everything that goes with them, all the while implementing most modern mechanical workings for the sake of accessibility and sanity. But what's really going to give it its identity..? Wait and see!

In the mean time, I've got a few more introductions to make! My best bud Rico Furlow will be spearheading the project's official art. You can find that and many of his other works on his Deviant Art page here, and don't forget to check out his website here while you're waiting for content to surface on this blog. Speaking of which...



Let the introductions continue! The player's mother is a veteran Pokémon Trainer and member of the police force, and as you might expect, she has been preparing for the day her child would become a Pokémon Trainer like her. She's raised a few newborns in her spare time with the intent of seeing one become yours. Wormoss, Porcupyre, Merholla... which one will you choose?

Wormoss, the Earth Worm Pokémon, is a member of the Grass-type. It's more adorable and cuddly than you'd expect. It's quite laid back for a critter on the lower end of the food chain, too. If left to its own devices, Wormoss would probably find a nice tree and take a nap. On a branch, in a hole, underground near the roots... whatever its spirit fancies. Using the Rototiller move, Wormoss strengthens one and all earthly beings, including itself!

The Fire-type Porcupyre is a bit more fierce. It's not too strong yet - in fact, its spines are mostly defective - but it knows there's no substitute for hard work and will gladly follow a Trainer willing to give 110%. It gets up close and personal with Flame Wheel.

In its own little world is Merholla, a Water-type with a knack for using its voice. End results tend to vary, especially in battle. Foes may lower their guard, let up on their attacks, or even fall asleep... that is, if they're affected at all! Failing anything on the sound front, Merholla can fall back on techniques such as Bubblebeam.

Of course, it wouldn't be a Pokémon adventure without others to encounter.

Kiweep is a small flightless bird that often gets upset at the myriad of things it can't do. It cries, its feathers get ruffled, but like a human baby, it's quick to move on and continue learning about the world around it.

Take caution the next time you're on a snacking binge - you might run into a Fauxnut! They may smell sweet, and even have a body shape and softness that resembles a doughnut, but they most certainly are not! You'd think if Fauxnut wanted to avoid getting bitten as much as they do, they'd just hide elsewhere. But who am I to question an entire species? Maybe they find boxes comfortable.

Today's reveals end with Drunkey, who may remind long-time trainers of Spinda. This "dazed and confused" primate actually has a backing in the martial arts! It helps that so few can actually understand its style of fighting.

Now if you'll excuse me, there's an incomprehensible amount of work to be done before the project can even take off. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment